1. Music is fun - music is even more fun if you have a sound foundation in the basics (scales, theory, etc.).
2. Music is a valuable tool for the teaching of successful life practices for young people.
3. You are never too old to learn an instrument or to start replaying one you learned in your youth.
4. The student and/or parent is the customer and should be involved in the setting of student goals.
5. Young children need to be taught in a positive self esteem enhancing manner.
6. Exposure to different styles of music (classical, blues, jazz, pop, rock, ...) is important for the young musician.
7. Duets are especially important for woodwind players for the teaching of tone, intonation, and rhythm.
8. Recitals are a valuable tool for the teaching of project related skills - i.e. meeting a deadline with a quality deliverable.